Skip to main content

Luck in Tabletop Games! Feeling lucky?

Never has the concept of luck been driven home to me more than recently when I have been designing my own tabletop games. What role does it play in the…well the game play? Does a game become weaker because of a dependence on random nature? Can this cause anxiety or fatigue? Should we rely on luck less? Make more of the choices ourselves? Be in control? I wanted to lay some of this out in this latest blog post as it is becoming a particularly important part of how I design games.

Making my way across a map...with only a die to guide me
With the design of Dark Force Incursion, I created a game that heavily depended on the roll of a dice. Every turn you are bound by the result of your roll and this leads you in a direction, for which there are a set of consequences. Is this too much to ask of a player to be so bound by a one in six chance? Yes, because how can they influence the outcome? This is what gamers will often strive for, a controlling element. I introduced the option of being able to choose the hex from which to roll and so you have some influence on your direction. For me this created another interesting aspect to the game play. Now the player had to decide on whether they would roll from a riskier position if he felt the reward was there. Narrowing down or increasing the odds of success. A game of chance. Partly. The player picks the lower of higher chance. But ultimately, they had to forge towards a goal, and this meant taking higher risks.

Play testers of Dark Force Incursion pointed this out. The element of risk was a mitigating one at times. It caused problems for progression. I felt that there is no doubt that this element of being out of control caused mixed emotions.

Then I began to think about luck in a different way. How was luck working here? As players we were investing our own experiences in the dice roll. What I mean is our play, or move, was that roll. It was ours and we invested in it, we took ownership. Strangely if we rolled a needed number then we would feel rewarded, we chanced it. I could see this demonstrated through many of the games I played and saw played. I fell into this trap as well. If I rolled myself out of a tough spot on the map, I felt rewarded even though it was just a sequence of randomised numbers. It did not matter; those numbers were mine, it was my victory. I looked beyond the randomness and was happy to win. On the other hand, if I lost then I cold blame the randomness or lack of control. I felt that in some respects the system had beaten me and therefore it was the system and not my skill.

Skill is not present though as it is all about random rolls. Although is it? We should ask our selves about probabilities. Can we play the probabilities game? What are the chances of the same number being rolled again? Is it the same? Well, I instinctively say no but is that true? I need a mathematician here. Something about it feels strange and unhuman. Surely, we cannot just keep rolling the same number even if every dice roll is not connected to the last one. I feel like I am running in circles here but that there is something about luck that has me trapped perpetually uncertain about the chances.

When I consider other games that are mainstream, I start to see the role of luck now that Dark Force Incursion has trapped me in the luck bubble. Look as Monopoly for example. We roll the dice every turn and this is our progression. Yahtzee is a dice game we yell about and hardly make any decisions other than where to place the numbers in a grid. In fact, Yahtzee is basically poker, which relies on a random dealing of cards, that pose a more complex set of results than rolling a dice. Luck exists in games on a massive scale and people, when successful, take that luck and call it skill. Or worse when they lose call the winner lucky, and they may have been for sure, but was it also skill?

So, are luck based games less effective? The less control over your go the more the process is discredited? I do not think so. For me it is about establishing a system or mechanic, as we like to call it these days, to give a particular result. When I designed the system for Dark Force Incursion, I knew that the results would be unpredictable. I designed the maps around this, allowing space for the randomness. Then I introduced land features which might assist in evening up the odds. It is about balance and allowing for luck to do that very think of balancing out. The luck mechanism, however it presents itself is frustrating, because on some level it makes us feel out of control and that is perhaps because it is so close to life that it is something we want to escape. But potentially some of our greatest achievements are due to luck. We just cannot avoid it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting Dark Force Incursion - A FREE Roll and Write One Player Game

It has been on my mind for a while now as the Corona-virus spreads across the world . What can I offer those who are at home and unable to partake in their usual gaming sessions because of isolation. How can a creative mind help alleviate the stress of boredom and worry? I have seen other roll and write games and thought that might be a great way of giving something to the community to these very ends.    Looking at what I have previously worked on under the DR Games and the hex tile has been a feature. I decide that I would try and use this format, combine it with a number mechanism and inject it with a narrative. This became a scenario that fuel the fire of the story...and Dark Force Incursion was born.   " Y o u r l a n d h a s b e e n i n v a d e d b y a p o w e r f u l D a r k F o r c e . T h e s p e e d o f t h e i n v a s i o n w a s f r i g h t e n i n g , a n d t h e y h a v e t a k e n a l l t h e d e f e n s i v e f o r t s i n

A Review of 2021 and the Coming Year

This year has seen a series of successes for Dark Realm umbrella. As we head into the new year, we feel the momentum of our two recently successfully funded projects pushing us forward. War Within RPG – On our DR Games Kickstarter account Our first full RPG is developing nicely. We have the text complete and are just working on the layout. This has taken us longer than predicted but the project has grown substantially during the funding period and has been enriched by comments and feedback that has focused our vision. This is part of the reason why we are so keen on the Kickstarter format. The month of funding exposes the product and people ask questions that you just have never considered. We will have this completed this month and look forward to sending it out. Murder at Morley’s Workshop One Shot – On our Dark Realm Roleplay Kickstarter account There is just over 24 hours left on this digital product over on Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/project

Dark Force Incursion Expansions Launched to Quick Success

DFI came about through an unusual set of circumstances at a strange time, that I discuss in a previous post. But it was solid and reliable with a core set of rules and maps and could be download for free from my website. Yet, as if out of control, the game began to take on a life of its own in my mind. I imagined new land features, hex tiles, expansion rules and maps. I think that, for me, any creation is never truly complete, they just keep on growing, expanding, and ultimately opening new gaming choices.   Pretty quickly I set about writing the rules and drawing the land features for the new maps and expansions. It presented as a series of updates with new landscapes that would be interesting to experience in their own hex maps. This presented as four distinct expansions that would work nicely as pledge levels…yes, I began to think Kickstarter. I had established a presence on Board Game Geek and the free core rules were out there for people to play and they had. I was c