Skip to main content

A Week on from the Kickstarter


It is Tuesday the 5th of May and a week after the Kickstarter ended. It feels like a month! But we have another week until Kickstarter completes the transactions and I can send out all the Dark Force Incursion Expansion goodies. I have been working on the stretch goals and their design, much of which is finished, although the wasteland designs are taking a bit longer.

I have been pleased to see that we have had some coverage on several blogs:

Charmstone Games were first to the post with their article “A Non-RPG Review? Dark Force Incursion,” which takes an interesting look at how DFI could be used in an RPG setting 


Lightheart Adventures put together an excellent interview where I talk about DFI and our collaboration:


A positive article appeared at Boards and Bees:


And we also had coverage at Boardgame Babylon.

This project has been quite staggering, and I am delighted to say that reviews such as this and in fact us all played a part in its success. Board Game Geek has also been a great focus for the DFI community and the page is ever growing. I will be uploading more content there after the project is finalised.

Ideas for Dark Force Incursion Phase 3

After we send out the expansions and stretch goals what comes next for DFI? I figured we need to have a base for the game and so I am creating a dedicated website to which I can upload monthly bundles of maps and new rules. In this way we can build up to the multiplayer and co-op versions of the game as well.

The aliens burst from these bulbous drop pods (concept art)
The Next Print and Play Game

There are two new projects I am developing and will take up my time once this phase of DFI is
complete. This is not to say that Dark Force Incursion is to be sidelined! By no means, as stated above there is much to come. But as a company we want to offer up other games and I have loads of ideas floating around in my head that I want to develop. The first is called Drop Pods (working title) and is a tabletop, print and play, game that I will be bringing to Kickstarter in a few weeks. You play an enlisted civilian who has opted to help combat the alien invasion. There are more roleplay elements in this game, a comprehensive rule book and plenty of adventure for solo and multiplayer setups.

Then there is Trade Nation

There will be plenty of information on this actual card game coming soon but I see this project as the third game for the sequence and one that promises a lot as a family game that could sit alongside games such as UNO and Citadels. I know those are big aspirations, but I am profoundly serious about taking DR Games to the next level and excited about sharing my games with the world. What I hope is you are all along for the ride!

Toby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting Dark Force Incursion - A FREE Roll and Write One Player Game

It has been on my mind for a while now as the Corona-virus spreads across the world . What can I offer those who are at home and unable to partake in their usual gaming sessions because of isolation. How can a creative mind help alleviate the stress of boredom and worry? I have seen other roll and write games and thought that might be a great way of giving something to the community to these very ends.    Looking at what I have previously worked on under the DR Games and the hex tile has been a feature. I decide that I would try and use this format, combine it with a number mechanism and inject it with a narrative. This became a scenario that fuel the fire of the story...and Dark Force Incursion was born.   " Y o u r l a n d h a s b e e n i n v a d e d b y a p o w e r f u l D a r k F o r c e . T h e s p e e d o f t h e i n v a s i o n w a s f r i g h t e n i n g , a n d t h e y h a v e t a k e n a l l t h e d e f e n s i v e f o r t s i n

Dark Force Incursion Expansions Launched to Quick Success

DFI came about through an unusual set of circumstances at a strange time, that I discuss in a previous post. But it was solid and reliable with a core set of rules and maps and could be download for free from my website. Yet, as if out of control, the game began to take on a life of its own in my mind. I imagined new land features, hex tiles, expansion rules and maps. I think that, for me, any creation is never truly complete, they just keep on growing, expanding, and ultimately opening new gaming choices.   Pretty quickly I set about writing the rules and drawing the land features for the new maps and expansions. It presented as a series of updates with new landscapes that would be interesting to experience in their own hex maps. This presented as four distinct expansions that would work nicely as pledge levels…yes, I began to think Kickstarter. I had established a presence on Board Game Geek and the free core rules were out there for people to play and they had. I was c

More Time for Board Games?

How we manage our leisure time has definitely changed over the years. This I guess isn’t new news, so to speak. We are all aware of the Netflix phenomenon and boxsets and series binging. In fact, it feels like if you can’t have the whole series now, all at once, it causes a frustrated condition that I’m sure they’ll name at some point as a medical condition. I recently started watching Picard on Amazon and actually quite like only having one episode to look forward to a week. But at the same time it is nice to have all the episodes available especially for the Expanse! And even if we have only one episode to watch a week we can watch it when we want. But there is so much choice how can you run out! I hear people saying yet I think another effect of having everything at your fingertips is we become fussier. I have little patience for a series that doesn’t grip me straight away, which I’m not sure how I feel about. This is another reason why we run out of things to watch, creating