Skip to main content

Making a Board Game – Part 1: From Cartographer to Game Designer

Working as a cartographer over the last couple of years has opened me up to lots of worlds. Fantasy realms and sci-fi settings that are story driven, and full of detail, have generally been my domain. This has included dungeons, tombs, settlements and worlds. Within the last category I arrived at creating a series of land hex tiles showing villages, towns and cities, fields, forests and mountains.

I was pleased with how they turned out, and how they were received on Twitter, and it was only a small step to cut them out and mount them on card. This resulted in something more substantial, an actual game component that seemed to be demanding rules and additional components. Now this is, I guess, a stage that many people find themselves at. An opportunity presenting itself and where to take it? So I took a step back and over the following few months just let the concept grow in my mind.

One thing I knew was I wasn’t keen on creating a complex game. I am personally interested in simple mechanics creating historical outcomes, installing a heritage in a game. I like games that are easy to jump into and the rules only take a fifteen minutes to explain, but games that evolve from the decisions made by the player and not completely from random chance.

The Six Original Tiles for Expansionist
To change or evolve a tile, you would need to have it effected by something. How could this happen? I considered cards and counters but I saw that I could remain loyal to the map making quality of the hex tiles. After all, that is my background. So rather than playing a counter on the tile I wanted to put more maps on the tile. I saw that if I use a stacking mechanism I could up and downgrade a location by adding or removing tiles. This became the core concept of the game; the stacking of tiles.
But what could cause the upgrading of the tile. I conceived of a tile that could go between the land upgrades and the broke this down into six triangles. These naturally came to symbolise events, six tiles per level that could be placed individually. When that tile level is full you can up or down grade depending on the triangle tiles. What did this mean?

I could see that there could be positive or negative events on the progress of a settlement and some that could ultimately see it pass into history or climb to the heights of a city. Green and red, positive and negative tiles that can be drawn, collected, placed and ultimately provide another mechanism that drives the game forward. I set about designing the triangle tiles that I now call Event Tiles.
A stacking system and a tile drawing system that once put in place creates a beautiful tableau map that also has a three dimensional element, that indicates the most impressive settlements. I began to write the rules and finished making a prototype. The process was becoming very real especially seeing I could now test the game with my family and friends. I made some adjustments, rewrote the rules and gave it a name: Expansionist.
But there was much to come still. In the next post I’ll talk more about the wrestle with graphics.

Don't forget you can support the Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drmgames/expansionist-a-table-top-game-for-pioneers

Thanks again guys,

Toby Lancaster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting Dark Force Incursion - A FREE Roll and Write One Player Game

It has been on my mind for a while now as the Corona-virus spreads across the world . What can I offer those who are at home and unable to partake in their usual gaming sessions because of isolation. How can a creative mind help alleviate the stress of boredom and worry? I have seen other roll and write games and thought that might be a great way of giving something to the community to these very ends.    Looking at what I have previously worked on under the DR Games and the hex tile has been a feature. I decide that I would try and use this format, combine it with a number mechanism and inject it with a narrative. This became a scenario that fuel the fire of the story...and Dark Force Incursion was born.   " Y o u r l a n d h a s b e e n i n v a d e d b y a p o w e r f u l D a r k F o r c e . T h e s p e e d o f t h e i n v a s i o n w a s f r i g h t e n i n g , a n d t h e y h a v e t a k e n a l l t h e d e f e n s i v e f o r t s i n

Dark Force Incursion Expansions Launched to Quick Success

DFI came about through an unusual set of circumstances at a strange time, that I discuss in a previous post. But it was solid and reliable with a core set of rules and maps and could be download for free from my website. Yet, as if out of control, the game began to take on a life of its own in my mind. I imagined new land features, hex tiles, expansion rules and maps. I think that, for me, any creation is never truly complete, they just keep on growing, expanding, and ultimately opening new gaming choices.   Pretty quickly I set about writing the rules and drawing the land features for the new maps and expansions. It presented as a series of updates with new landscapes that would be interesting to experience in their own hex maps. This presented as four distinct expansions that would work nicely as pledge levels…yes, I began to think Kickstarter. I had established a presence on Board Game Geek and the free core rules were out there for people to play and they had. I was c

More Time for Board Games?

How we manage our leisure time has definitely changed over the years. This I guess isn’t new news, so to speak. We are all aware of the Netflix phenomenon and boxsets and series binging. In fact, it feels like if you can’t have the whole series now, all at once, it causes a frustrated condition that I’m sure they’ll name at some point as a medical condition. I recently started watching Picard on Amazon and actually quite like only having one episode to look forward to a week. But at the same time it is nice to have all the episodes available especially for the Expanse! And even if we have only one episode to watch a week we can watch it when we want. But there is so much choice how can you run out! I hear people saying yet I think another effect of having everything at your fingertips is we become fussier. I have little patience for a series that doesn’t grip me straight away, which I’m not sure how I feel about. This is another reason why we run out of things to watch, creating