Skip to main content

Making a Board Game - Part 3: After the Cancellation of the Kickstarter


I this final part of the series I reflect on how the Kickstarter failed to achieve its goal. But I also talk about the physical components of the game and how we were at the mercy of a number of circumstances some self-made others wholly unexpected.

We gathered up many quotes for Expansionist. As we developed the game, through play testing. At a basic level we needed hex and triangle tiles and the number changed as we tested length of play and phases of the game. We found that sometimes players’ might not get tiles out until the fourth or fifth turn and so we added an additional foundation tile. We saw that some of the event names may well be too sensitive and so we changed the design. These were things that time helped us realise and it is this that you need with your game. Time. Live with it and ask questions of it. The actual game play can blind you to some of these design elements that could slow a project or put people off.

Loads of tiles in the Expansionist design
The decent printing quotes came out of china, which is not to say we didn’t try other places. My wife Jo, the now appointed Logistics Manager, was excellent here and gathered the quotes in from other places as well. America and Europe were all three times as expensive and so we opted for China, like most publishers do. Of course, this was when coronavirus was taking hold and we simply had no idea what impact it would have. I’ve had backers suggest to me that this was the reason why people didn’t invest and it no doubt had a factor, but I think there were many other factors that meant we didn’t achieve the full funding goal.

I think the biggest was quite simply that we just had not put the game out there before we released it on Kickstarter. We had some social media talking about the hex tiles and the promise of a game, but it was by no means enough. Putting out there can also mean so many things as well. The biggest one is not having prototypes to send to reviewers. This in our opinion made a massive difference and cost us big. We contacted reviewers and they asked for copies, but we had none. Obviously, we had our prototype, but that was not going to be shipped around to be lost in a reviewer’s pile of games. The main reason, though, why we did not have copies was because we have no cash flow and the time it was taking to have things coming back from China was a big problem, even if we had had the money to print them. In future we will have prototypes printed.

Another massive element is we just were not part of the Board Game Geek network. Something asked of us from reviewers was a BGG page link. A massive mistake was not to be part of this. I have had a life of tabletop games and gaming but had never really invested in BGG, a platform that is so vital for a game’s credibility. It was painfully stupid and so I began to fill my BGG profile with stuff which I found fun and started to grow this community. My game collection has waxed and waned over the years, as well as my RPG collection, and here is a great way to record it. BGG is awesome.

A separate Twitter account for DR Games was also important and no way as established as it should have been. It still isn’t and this is because it takes time. I have thousands of followers on Dark Realm Maps where the drawing all started, but that has taken years to establish and even then, those followers follow the maps and are not as interested in tabletop games as I had hoped. They are my awesome map peeps and they hadn’t expected me to suddenly start talking about making games. I hope they are patient with me because this is now as serious part of my life.

Probably the hardest thing for me to face was the Secret! I wanted to keep Expansionist a secret, as I felt the idea was too good and could be copied but I was naive and overly cautious. There are tonnes of games out there with great ideas, why would anybody steel mine? It was foolish and I wish now that I had just tried to tell the world and create the vibe!

That’s what it comes down to: THE VIBE. We had not created a vibe about Expansionist. All the above things contributed to the game remaining unknown and, in a sense, still as secret. Ironically by choosing to keep the game mechanics a secret it remained so even after I wished it otherwise.

We decided to cancel the Kickstarter, as we wanted to control when it stops and when it restarts and be able to keep our supporters informed. I am not bitter about this. I have learned a lot and will carry if forward into the next project which is Dark Force Incursion a free game, I released a week ago and one which has already seen some interest. The expansions for this will go onto Kickstarter next week with a much lower target goal and with a totally different agenda. Keep an eye out for it.

I can list the negatives for sure, but much has come out of Expansionist our first Kickstarter. Probably the most important is the new followers who have shared their ideas, given me feedback and are keen to find out about future projects. They are the real people here, voices who make me want to push forward and keep designing. Thank you, I very much appreciate your support and hope you have loads of fun and entertainment out of future DR Games products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting Dark Force Incursion - A FREE Roll and Write One Player Game

It has been on my mind for a while now as the Corona-virus spreads across the world . What can I offer those who are at home and unable to partake in their usual gaming sessions because of isolation. How can a creative mind help alleviate the stress of boredom and worry? I have seen other roll and write games and thought that might be a great way of giving something to the community to these very ends.    Looking at what I have previously worked on under the DR Games and the hex tile has been a feature. I decide that I would try and use this format, combine it with a number mechanism and inject it with a narrative. This became a scenario that fuel the fire of the story...and Dark Force Incursion was born.   " Y o u r l a n d h a s b e e n i n v a d e d b y a p o w e r f u l D a r k F o r c e . T h e s p e e d o f t h e i n v a s i o n w a s f r i g h t e n i n g , a n d t h e y h a v e t a k e n a l l t h e d e f e n s i v e f o r t s i n

Dark Force Incursion Expansions Launched to Quick Success

DFI came about through an unusual set of circumstances at a strange time, that I discuss in a previous post. But it was solid and reliable with a core set of rules and maps and could be download for free from my website. Yet, as if out of control, the game began to take on a life of its own in my mind. I imagined new land features, hex tiles, expansion rules and maps. I think that, for me, any creation is never truly complete, they just keep on growing, expanding, and ultimately opening new gaming choices.   Pretty quickly I set about writing the rules and drawing the land features for the new maps and expansions. It presented as a series of updates with new landscapes that would be interesting to experience in their own hex maps. This presented as four distinct expansions that would work nicely as pledge levels…yes, I began to think Kickstarter. I had established a presence on Board Game Geek and the free core rules were out there for people to play and they had. I was c

More Time for Board Games?

How we manage our leisure time has definitely changed over the years. This I guess isn’t new news, so to speak. We are all aware of the Netflix phenomenon and boxsets and series binging. In fact, it feels like if you can’t have the whole series now, all at once, it causes a frustrated condition that I’m sure they’ll name at some point as a medical condition. I recently started watching Picard on Amazon and actually quite like only having one episode to look forward to a week. But at the same time it is nice to have all the episodes available especially for the Expanse! And even if we have only one episode to watch a week we can watch it when we want. But there is so much choice how can you run out! I hear people saying yet I think another effect of having everything at your fingertips is we become fussier. I have little patience for a series that doesn’t grip me straight away, which I’m not sure how I feel about. This is another reason why we run out of things to watch, creating